Friday, December 25, 2009

Trying to Keep Merry this Christmas


I have to admit that today I am sad.  Today has been a down day, a crying kind of day.  When I embarked on this journey, I hadn’t even really given it any thought that I would be away from more then half my family at Christmas.  This has been a difficult journey, and today is the hardest day so far of this journey.  I miss my wife, I miss my three kids at home.  I want nothing more then to just hold them.

Today I have been “wrestling” with God, questioning His plan and wondering what He has in store for me – why is this taking so long?  I have been praying, reading my Bible and just trying to listen.  To be totally honest, I can’t hear anything right now.  I am longing to hear a word from God to affirm, encourage, strengthen and uplift me in this fight.  Satan is attacking me right now and I am trying to stay strong.
And amidst all of my discouragement I am reminded that I have a LOT that I need to praise God for.  And for this revelation, I have to thank the street boys in the slums of Kivulu.

This week I had the extreme blessing and humbling experience to help with a Christmas party for some of Kampala’s most destitute and poor.  These boys quite literally have nothing but what they are wearing or carrying with them.  The program I have been helping with runs 3 days a week – Monday, Wednesday & Friday.  On these days, the boys are taught some sort of school lesson from a teacher that the program has hired.  Then there is usually a football (soccer) match and a bit of free time while a couple of the leaders do “medico” on the various scrapes, wounds, burns and surface things that the boys have.  The more severe case are taken to the hospital and treated (paid for by the program).  After that, there is an activity like beadwork or something else and then a simple bible study lesson.  This is followed by a very SIMPLE meal of posha (made from corn flour) and beans and the liquid from cooking the beans.  Posha is cheap and filling and carries you a long time.  These days are likely the only decent meals the boys get all week and they are left to fend for themselves the other days.  There is just not enough financial or volunteer support to run the program more. 

Anyway, on Tuesday, was their special Christmas day.  The boys got to go swimming, hear the Christmas story, and have their “special” meal of rice, matoke (ma toe kay) – cooked, mashed plantains, posha and cooked beef chunks and broth.  There were 60 boys that were fed.

A church in the US had sent 6 HUGE cargo boxes full of Christmas stockings stuffed with traditional stocking “stuff” and some extras that would be useful for the kids – shirts, pencils, paper pads, etc.  There were enough stockings for every boy as well as for some of the other programs that the leaders are involved in (African Hearts Kampala and Ssenge & Kivulu House).  I think the pictures speak for themselves. (can't get them to load, but will try when I have a better connection)

It was truly humbling to see and be a part of this and it reminds me today that even though I am sad, lonely and away from home, I have SO much that I need to remember to not take for granted.  Even the very simple things like 3 meals a day, a bed and home to sleep in, clothes to wear (that aren’t falling apart) and SO much more!!  So, although I miss my family and wish I were home for this special time of year, I am trying to keep Merry this Christmas for all God has done for me and my family this year and every year.  Thank you Jesus for coming to bring life to even a sinner such as I on this SPECIAL day.  

I love you Cheremi, Trae, Nate and Naleah and am wishing you a Merry Christmas filled with Christ’s love.  Kaysia, Ezekiel and I are there in spirit and we are praying we’re home soon!

Daddy (Teach)

8 comments:

cheremi said...

Oh love, you have me in tears (well, I woke up in tears).... we miss you and love you. I will send you a separate email. But I would like the whole world to know that I am married to the most amazing man in the entire world. I do not know many men who would sacrifice what you have have sacrificed in order to be in Uganda doing what you are doing. I am so proud to be your wife. I love you... I hope you can feel all the way across the ocean. I hope that your Christmas dinner if wonderful and you are filled with peace, love and hope. I love you. Cher

mom (Frederick) said...

Through my tears I just want to say 'I love you, James, and we are blessed to have you in our family'.

Unknown said...

Oh James, It is when you are down most that God carries you and all the fellow brothers and sisters in Christ lift you up to His throne, we too miss you so much and alone God knows the working of this.
We are so proud that you are letting your light shine in Uganda.
We so desperately want God to answer our prayers.
Love you son!

Melissa G said...

I'm sorry you have to be away from your family at this special time. I know how hard that can be! I pray for God's grace and peace to be abundantly clear and felt by both you and those at home!
Merry Christmas!

Miss. Jinny said...

I know I personally do not know you but I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family! I pray for God's comfort and love to fill all your hearts on this very special day! Merry Christmas to each of you! :) Much love and blessings!

Kat said...

I pray God holds and keeps you as your family is apart.

We were talking of Joseph and Mary last night and the long and arduous 100 miles to Bethlehem. We talked, as we snuggled in our house, of the trial this was for a very pregnant Mary. Yet God was there, present, holding and watching.

Listen with your body and feel Him, because He is holding you and your family. I've often asked God about His timing in the midst of struggle...and I continue to be so glad that God is so much bigger than my humanity.

We have been praying, since we were directed to your blog, for your family. We pray you feel God's presence tonight that no government process, no humanness, can take away. We will also be praying until your family is whole again.

James 1:27 Family said...

So sorry, James. I know this is heart-wrenching for your whole family. Please know that many people are daily lifting you up in prayer. God has amazing blessings for you and Cher.

May you rest in His arms and be covered in His peace.

In Jesus,
Amy

The Indenbosch's said...

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

James, this verse is God's voice- You are in His will. You are submitting to God and Satan will have to flee from you as James 4:7 says. "Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." You are submitting to His will, even when it hurts and it's costing you in all different ways.

Luke 12: 33b ... make yourself money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.

James, continue to do what you are able and let God take care of the rest. You are storing up treasure in heaven and are blessed more than you can imagine.

Being refined in the fire makes you shine and have purpose, but the process is very difficult. Look to Jesus. Let His light, love and truth strengthen you.

We love you and pray for you and Cheremie and the children.
The Indenbosch's