This weekend was a low one for me. Satan is attacking me and my family hardcore but he will not win! On Friday, I went out to do a few things in town and go out for lunch with some friends. When I got back to my room in the early afternoon, all my electronic devices were stolen! The culprits took my macbook (lap top for you non-mac users J), my iPod (mp3 player), my digital camera, my flash drive, my cell phone and a friend’s digital camera I had in my room. Basically everything that I was using to encourage myself and stay connected to my world back home. For those of you that don’t know me well, I am kind of a techy. I like my technology, actually I LOVE my technology. In fact, I worked in the electronics section at Costco for almost seven years while putting myself through university before becoming a teacher.
It was strange right from the beginning because my room has a British double lock on the door (you turn the key twice and the lock goes in on two stages). I ALWAYS lock the double lock! When I went to open it, only the first stage was locked. It was strange. When I noticed my stuff gone, I thought it had to be someone from the hotel because who else would have a key to my room? Also, when I first went to this hotel (I was asked to leave Sanyu guesthouse 3 weeks ago – long story not for this post) they told me that I had the ONLY key to my room. I even had to leave it for the maid if I wanted my room cleaned, which I only had been doing once per week on Mondays. This had to be someone from the hotel, no one else could have a key or access to extra keys that I was told didn’t exist. I went to the hotel manager and told him my stuff was gone and he said he would call the police. I was a little in shock, so at first I accepted this and went back to my room. Then, on gaining my head, I realized if it was the manager who did it, he wouldn’t actually try to help me. I called a Ugandan friend and he told me not to trust anyone and to go to the police station myself right away. This was even more confirmed when I started to leave and the manager told me not to. I went down to the police, filed the report and they came back to the hotel to “question” the workers with traditional Ugandan methods (let’s just say not the same as in North America). They ended up taking everyone down to the police station and held them all in custody for further “questioning”. The police agreed that someone from the hotel must have a part in it and are still trying to get answers. The hotel owner has been very nice to me since then, I think mainly because he doesn’t want me to ask him to pay for my stuff. He changed the locks to my room, gave me ALL the keys, reduced my fees and gave me access to some other benefits not normally given to other guests. Well, 3 days later, still not much has changed in my case. They have not arrested or questioned anyone outside the hotel and tell me they are looking for 2 people. They do suspect one worker in particular and are looking for his friends. I don’t really have much hope that my stuff will be found, but who knows? Anyway, this was probably one of the heaviest blows that Satan could deal me right now. He is working overtime to discourage me, tear me down and make me give up and give in.
The thing the devil doesn’t know or is failing to see is that I serve an even bigger God! An awe-inspiring, mountain-moving, gasp-giving, wonder-working, all powerful God that loves me and is taking care of me here. Yes, I was discouraged. Yes, I wallowed a bit in my own self-pity. Yes, I was angry (still am a bit) BUT then God picked me up, brushed me off and told me to “keep on”.
I know we must be getting close to going home because it sure seems like the devil is working extra hard, pulling extra innings, putting in some major over-time to stop me, stop us, from bringing these kids home. Things are going to happen soon, I just know it. God knows when this will all be over. He has it in His perfect plan.
On Friday morning (before this happened), I read 2 Corinthians 4:8 &9, “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” What an amazing message to prepare me for the next attack from Satan. God wanted me to know that He is still here – that I may be hard pressed, that I may be perplexed, that I may be persecuted and even struck down, but He is not going to let me be crushed, in despair, abandoned or destroyed. He says in Hebrews 13:5b & 6, “’Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’” And in Isaiah 43:2 He says, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”
Friends, God is with each of us. He will not leave us, or forsake us in good times or bad. And today (as we should EVERY day) I say blessed be the name of the Lord. I am not discouraged. Although it sucks not having my lap top or iPod or those other things, they are just that, things, material possessions and they can be replaced and they don’t control or change the work that God has me doing here. God is so good, God is ALL I need and God will continue to carry me through this no matter what Satan throws at me or my family!! Yay God for that!!
Fighting in Uganda,
Teach
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I wish I had words to encourage you.
However, we serve a MIGHTY God and I pray HE encourages you!
Your family is prayed for often! I can not imagine all you and your family are going through-however YOU my friend are an encouragement to me--because even in THIS post when you are talking about hardships and trials-and knowing the weight of all that has gone on in these months (that I can only imagine and suppose)
YOU encourage me!
Praying God perform miracles to get you and your children HOME! Soon!
Couldn't stop thinking about your situation and I felt this "song" sort of playing--couldn't put my finger on it and I typed what I could remember of the song into google and was BLOWN away when I listened!
Wanted to share it with you!
To listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVM85dl-61E
Lyrics:
Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think it’s more than you can take
But you are stronger, stronger than you know
Don’t you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining
I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn’t ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I’ve seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That’s what faith can do
It doesn’t matter what you’ve heard
Impossible is not a word
It’s just a reason for someone not to try
Everybody’s scared to death
When they decide to take that step
Out on the water
It’ll be alright
Life is so much more
Than what your eyes are seeing
You will find your way
If you keep believing
I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn’t ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I’ve seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That’s what faith can do
Overcome the odds
http://www.elyricsworld.com/what_faith_can_do_lyrics_kutless.html
You don't have a chance
(That’s what faith can do)
When the world says you can’t
It’ll tell you that you can!
I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn’t ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I’ve seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That’s what faith can do
That's what faith can do!
Even if you fall sometimes
You will have the strength to rise
oh, well i'm just weeping for you. i could just imagine how discouraging that would be...your connection to your friends and family stolen.
i'm so glad that you're staying encouraged & KNOW that they are just things. and especially that you know OUR GOD IS BIGGER.
praying. praying. praying.
I know you don't know me... but I posted a blog today asking for others to fast and pray tomorrow. I participate with a group (ifast58) and wanted to open up to anyone who would like to join us on behalf of your family.
Sorry, for so many comments---but wanted you to know... :)
I am so sorry!!! I think of ya'll everyday and pray for you.
The LORD loves you and your family so much...
we do too.
loves,
Shonni
James and Cheremi - I am in tears! I am so sorry! I am so proud of your attitude and that you are standing on the Truth!
We are praying for you and again Isaiah was praying for Uncle James to come over and eat last night. He really misses you and it makes Justin and I smile every time.
We have all seen the work of Satan in his attacks on church and family...units that when bound close together defy his forces.
For all those out there praying for you halfway across the world, I pray that there are equal prayers of support for the half of your family on this side of the world and their growing struggles without husband and daddy.
My prayers for you today...strength, health, safety, insight, and love for family that is strong yet gentle, unconditional, encouraging and uplifting. It is a long, bumpy road that your family has been travelling.
I am so sorry about the break-in. The hardest for me would be the loss of photos and the chronicle of this journey.
Stay strong! We love you!
with tears in my eyes after reading what has happened, I am praying for you today brother that God would lift you up, encourage you and hopefully even bring your much needed things back to you!
Have been praying and sometimes fasting for you and the rest of your friends in this situation in Uganda.
The evil one is really trying to wear all of you down, BUT like all of you have been doing, "PRAISING OUR FATHER"....the evil one doesn't like it..it's like poison to his ears....GOD IS SO FAITHFUL...
Keep on keepin on, dear brother....The Lord gave you the desire to bring your children out of that pit and bring them to their forever family that loves them dearly....What a picture of our Heavenly Father's love for us.
Thank your for posting..and know that the Lord wins the battle...
I am standing with you and I too believe it will be very soon: that all of you with your children will be on your home soil Praising God for His faithfulness is taking care of everything about this journey.
How encouraging it is for all of us reading...grows our faith in our walk with the Lord.
Lovingly,
Sandy in NC
I'm praying for your family daily, I'll continue to do so!
Thank you for encouraging me during your difficultly. The Lord gave me Isaiah 43:2 when we began our latest adoption. Yesterday we hit a low point, but today you have reminded me of this verse. Thank you!
Blessings,
Michelle
We pray for you constantly. When God is moving, Satan likes to make it as hard as possible. Many thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
oh james and cheremi! i am so very sorry. know that we are praying for you and believing with you that the end is near. it is always darkest before the dawn and i am believing with all my heart that your dawn and bringing those precious children home is so very near!
Hi, I heard about your situation at Jen's blog. I want you to know that even if you don't see evidence of God's hand, it is all around you. He is orchestrating His will for you through His angels and through all the believers who have heard of your plight. All of the prayers are rising up to God's throne as a beautiful song, made even more lovely with suffering and brokenness. Praise Him in the storm, for in the distance is a beautiful rainbow just for you...
Praying!!
I am so sorry...
You are in the thick of the battle, brother... where the fight is hardest! Your faithful praise to our mighty God and your steadfast devotion is a blessing to witness. While in the midst of this battle you are an encouragement to so many! Bless you!
Praying...
Hello James,
We are sorry you have had these extra challenges, but continue to know that we serve a faithful God! He knows, and He cares!!
You all remain in our thoughts and prayers!
Praying, praying, praying
Oh, James, I'm so sorry! Satan just won't let up, will he? I can't imagaine how I would react if those same things were stolen from me, as they are my lifeline home, and I have not been away from my family like you have. But I am so encouraged by your stand on the truth of God's word. No matter what, no matter how hard it gets, God's word is true, and God will never leave us, never forsake us, never let us be crushed!
We are dealing with a situation of a man who was paid to build 2 triple-decker beds for us, and has refused to deliver, even to the point of having people tell us he has died. Our house mommy went to the police, went back again, and then paid "transport" to have them go to arrest the man, only to be told they couldn't find him because he had "shifted". (Overnight??) It is so hard to work in a place where there is so little justice. We just have to remember that someday true justice will come, every tear will be wiped away, and there will be no more injustice or suffering.
Praying for all you are enduring as you fight the good fight. I am hearing good things from Peter about the possibility of the immigration problem being resolved for good, very soon! I continue to pray for you and your family. Keep the faith, brother!
Post a Comment